Many people have an interest in porcelain veneers as a treatment to enhance the look of their teeth. Veneers are made from high-quality dental porcelain and are only about as thick as a contact lens, making this restoration ideal for certain improvements. We use porcelain veneers to close gaps and disguise stains, chips, and other flaws in the smile. Ultimately, what a person can gain from veneers are a gorgeous smile and optimum confidence.
Veneer treatment is a significant investment in your smile, so there is a good reason to want to maximize your results. So you can extend the lifespan of your veneers with the proper care. These tips are intended to help you enjoy your veneers for up to 15 years.
- Take good care of your mouth. Oral hygiene is very necessary for veneers because the brushing and flossing that you do will prevent plaque buildup. If flossing is not yet a consistent habit, consider using a Waterpik for its convenience and efficiency. Regular flossing also protects veneers by stopping the development of gum disease, which could cause your gums to recede away from the veneers.
- Always use the right instruments for your oral care routine. Do not use abrasive toothpaste, like whitening or charcoal toothpaste, or a hard toothbrush, as they can scratch the porcelain and promote bacterial buildup. The team at HBDS is happy to recommend an appropriate toothpaste.
- Talk to your HBDS dentist about getting a mouthguard. Mouthguards protect the teeth during sporting activities and can be beneficial for individuals who clench or grind their teeth.
- Do not smoke. Smoking greatly increases your risk of gum disease, which causes the gums to recede away from veneers and natural teeth. Smoking can also cause the ridges of veneers, where the adhesive is, to discolour.
- See your dentist regularly. Dental visits are essential for overall oral health and also for the care of veneers. We assess the integrity of veneers during routine checkups, and cleanings complement the oral care routine kept at home.