So, it’s been a while since you saw your dentist and you feel a little anxious about going. You ou feel a bit ashamed, and you don’t know what to expect. You’re wondering what will happen and whether your dentist will scold you over the condition of your teeth. Anxiety is one of the primary reasons patients have to put off their dental visits, but this blog will explain what you can expect during your next dental appointment. Here’s a hint– you have nothing to be afraid of.
The Reason for Preventive Care Appointments
Here are the two main reasons to schedule a preventative care appointment:
- Deep Cleaning – The professional cleaning provided by the dental hygienist removes harmful bacteria, plaque and tartar. It gives you a fresh canvas to maximize your oral hygiene routine at home.
- Full Examination – Just as important as the cleaning, is the tedious examination conducted by both your dentist. An examination helps to identify existing problems like cavities, gum disease, jaw alignment issues or other potential issues.
What Else Happens?
The recommended frequency for dental check-ups is every six months, which enables your dentist to catch any new potential problems. One of the most vital diagnostic tools used to assess your oral health is dental X-Ray. Your dentist will likely take a full round, which includes the following:
- A Bitewing X-Ray– The most common X-Ray, the bitewing, provides a picture of the crown of your teeth and helps to identify cavities.
- A Periapical X-Ray– We use a periapical X-Ray to assess a tooth’s root tips, which helps us to decide whether we can save a tooth after there has been decay.
- Panoramic – The panoramic X-Ray provides us with a complete view of your entire mouth, including your jaw and teeth.
By capturing the full mouth, we can asses the current condition of your mouth and form a baseline to work from going forward.
Dental visits are nothing to fear. A preventive care check-up is non-invasive and is geared to help you achieve the best oral health possible by identifying and preventing problems from developing. Furthermore, our entire staff at HBDS – from the receptionist to the dentist – will be supportive and non-judgmental.
To get your oral health back on track, reach out to schedule a visit today.