The beginning of the new year is a great time to reevaluate your oral health routine and make adjustments where necessary. A squeaky-clean mouth is a framework for good overall health. We all know the essential practices for good oral hygiene, the keys to a healthy mouth include:
- Brush twice a day
- Floss once a day
- See your dentist every six months for cleanings and examinations.
In addition to these regular practices, we’ve compiled a list of some quick and essential tips to keep your mouth in great shape.
FIVE TIPS FOR GREAT ORAL HEALTH:
1. Brush your teeth in first thing in the morning and right before you go to bed. Brushing in the morning helps to eliminate bad breath and gets rid of anything you may have missed the night before. Brushing right before you go to bed ensures that all the particles and build-up from food consumption have been eliminated from your mouth. It also helps stimulate your saliva for extra protection as you sleep.
2. Brush for at least two minutes each time. It’s essential to brush your teeth twice a day, but many of us don’t brush our teeth properly. Set a timer or stopwatch on your phone to ensure that you are brushing for an absolute minimum of two minutes each time you brush. Be sure to clean every area within the mouth, especially your gumline and your tongue.
3. Rinse all of the toothpaste out of your mouth. Neglecting to spit out all of the remaining toothpaste in your mouth can cause an unpleasant build-up and can offset the benefits of brushing in the first place. You don’t want that extra bacteria, gunk, and the chemicals from your toothpaste hanging around inside your mouth. Be sure to thoroughly rinse after every brush (even if you have to rinse multiple times).
4. Floss your teeth before you brush. This clears out the small spaces between your teeth so that your toothbrush can easily access them. Remember to floss your teeth at least once a day!
5. Use a mouthwash that contains fluoride. Fluoride helps the maintenance and rebuilding of the tooth enamel and should not be removed from your oral health routine. Be sure to rinse your mouth with a fluoride mouthwash once or twice a day to help protect your enamel and prevent tooth erosion, discolouration, and gingivitis
SEE YOUR DENTIST
For more information on what makes a healthy smile, schedule your appointment at HBDS!